Last night, Houston voters approved METRO’s Proposition A by a margin of 68 to 32! That’s super exciting. METRONext will be a huge step forward for public transportation and air quality in Houston and Harris County.
METRONext will invest $3.5 billion dollars to fund 16 miles of new light rail, 75 miles of METRORapid express bus, 110 miles of express HOV lanes, and more sidewalks and bus shelters. METRONext will deliver huge environmental benefits to Houston, improving air quality by giving Houstonians cleaner, healthier transportation options.
Environment Texas was proud to work alongside the Moving to the Future PAC to pass Prop A. In particular, Environment Texas supported the effort by:
Providing an environment analysis of the impacts of METRONext, including the fact that METRONext will take an estimated 500,000 cars off the road each day by 2040.
Building a coalition of environmentalists, students, and civic leaders for Prop A.
Sharing "photo petitions" on social media.
Generating media coverage, including in the Houston Chronicle and on KPRC Channel 2, on the environmental benefits of METRONext.
We're just getting started working to build a cleaner, more modern transportation system for Texas. Our next steps include getting Houston METRO to switch to electric buses and convincing voters in Austin and San Antonio to approve big investments in transit next year. Thanks for your support along the way!
- Victory for public transportation! Houston voters approve $3.5 billion bond
- Testimony to EPA on proposed rollback of methane pollution standards
- A straw and a sea turtle: Why we should stop using single-use plastic
- Study: Climate change is heating our oceans to unsustainable temperatures
- Protection stripped from streams, wetlands that help provide drinking water for 117 million Americans